It’s important to know about the DO’S and DON’TS of investing.
- DO invest in US gold, silver and platinum bullion.
By that we mean US coins such as US Silver Eagles; US American (gold) eagles and US platinum eagles. The gold American Eagle coins and US Platinum coins come in different sizes ( 1/10 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz and 1 oz) to accommodate any budget.
- DO invest in silver.
If you prefer silver bars, you can buy them in 1 oz, 10 oz and 100oz sizes.
- DO buy popular gold bullion coins, like the Canadian Maple Leaf and the South African Krugerrands.
- DO buy numismatic coins as close to the melt value as possible.
- DO take delivery of your investments.
- DO start with what you can afford.
- DON’T fall for the privately minted coins that sell for many times the metal value and are “rare” because of the production numbers.
Once you receive them they are only worth the price of the metal content. There are a lot of very nicely minted coins from private mints, just make sure the premiums aren’t too high if you do buy them
- DON’T buy coins because they have pretty little designs on them.
- DON’T buy numismatic coins.
If you are buying strictly for investing, try to stay away from the numismatic coins unless you are very familiar with grading coins and can find the great values.